Sunday 14 August 2011

Adventure in NYC

Blogging to you from my hotel room in Newark, NJ. But next to Newark is the legendary New York City. I had fun, spending the whole day at the city, sadly I left my camera at the hotel by accident (dumb me) but I will take pictures tomorrow. Today my family and I took the subway from Harrison, NJ to Ground Zero in New York, what was once The World Trade Centre but is now being rebuilt.


Ground Zero



We then walked to the Rockefeller Centre, such a beautiful building with many stores including the advantage of going inside the NBC headquarters. My family and I managed to get a tour of that area, including the nice view from the observation deck, Top Of The Rock, sadly because I was at the top and because it was raining hard, I wasn't able to get a nice view of the entire city. Since our view was obscured by fog and rain, but going to the actual building was amazing enough, and I bought an awesome Dr. Spaceman t-shirt from the amazing NBC gift-shop.


Rockefeller Plaza


Top Of The Rock, if only the weather was nice today.


The design of my shirt, it was either this or The Lonely Island shirt, the Dick in the Box shirt, but that was only available in smaller and larger sizes, I think I made the right call.

From there, we were finding a place to eat, we went to the first place we saw, which was TGI Friday's, their Jack Daniels chicken wraps are tasty, so are their smoothies.


Jack Daniels is what makes this wrap epic hater!

After eating at TGI Friday's, we walked to Grand Central Station, its so weird to see that building in real life, after seeing it in TV shows and movie's, and the ceiling on that building is well decorated, with the drawings of constellations and the use of lights to make realistic stars on the ceiling.


Grand Central Station

From there, we walked to the UN Headquarters, which is currently under construction, well only one of the buildings so the area is kind of a rubbled mess. It wasn't I expected since the building was closed, half the building was torn apart and all the flags were taken off the flagpoles. But it was still neat to go there since my grandpa use to work there, seeing the headquarters of an important international organization was worth all the while.


UN Headquarters

From there, we took a cab to Time Square, again its so weird to see the area up close after seeing it all the time in movie's and TV, it was neat to see all the giant LCD screen billboards, giant theatres, giant mall's, and giant versions of regular chain stores (i.e. The Disney Store, Toys "R" Us, American Eagle, etc).


Time Square, I went during the day but day or night, its still amazing to look at, that and there were mostly night pictures when I searched Time Square on google images.

From there, we went back to the Plaza and had tea at this nice tea shop that was amongst the huge food court. From there, we took the subway back to Newark. After being in Newark for a couple of days, I noticed that its a really depressing and sketchy city, well the area I'm in that is. The area of Newark, where my hotel is, reminds me of a Martin Scorsese film that takes place in the 50's, but I don't want to complain, just observing. I like how the city is culturally diverse, its not just mostly Italian, its also Irish, Spanish, Brazilian and Portuguese. Hopefully, there will be more to see in the city of Newark.


Another busy day in Newark.


On a side note: after being on four different metro stations; Montreal, London, Boston and New York, which you can see in this image. I have realized that the subway is the most efficient source of public transportation, which beats chasing a cab or taking a bus any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment