Sunday 28 August 2011

The works of solo-artists

Well, only one more week of summer left, but all i'm really doing this week is getting ready for school, I think it's gonna be an awesome year, being the final year and all.

Over the past week, while listening to various bands/artists recommended to me by friends and Last.Fm, some of the music I checked out happened to be music created by solo artists who were once in other bands, or in a band/project created by a member of a former band. Does it seem like a coincidence that a good chunk of the solo artists out there were former lead singers of other bands? I realized this after stumbling upon the works of Jim Morrison of the Doors, Julian Casablancas of The Strokes, Hot Boys, the rap group that Lil' Wayne was in before he did is own thing and my new favorite, Patrick Stump of Fall Out Boy. Maybe the reason why they enjoy solo-work is because they have more musical freedom, so to speak. Maybe they want to create a new image, name and face for themselves. The best example of this type of reasoning is Patrick Stump and Fall Out Boy. I like Fall Out Boy, they are a really talented band, but like a lot of popular bands, after a while, all the fame gets surprisingly overwhelming, I can imagine how they would feel. In an interview with Billboard Magazine, 60 minutes before his performance at this years Lollapalooza, Fall Out Boy front-man and guitarist Patrick Stump had some rather interesting things to say about Fall Out Boy, about how Fall Out Boy was very fraternal, actually he said that in another video but you get my point. He also said that he and the other guys of Fall Out Boy are still cool, no matter what, they still keep in touch and see each other, if you would like to know more about what Patrick thinks, here's the link to his interview with Billboard magazine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGna8NkriBU. At the time, when I heard about FOB's indefinite hiatus, that was the first time I heard and learnt about a indefinite hiatus. To me, that's just saying that their decompressing, taking a break from all the fame, they will reunite eventually, but they just don't know when, thus meaning indefinite hiatus, they became so popular, that expectations became overwhelming. From the way things are, the return of FOB will take a while, since the members are pursuing their own projects. Its neat how it works, how they made it in the underground/indie scene at first, then gaining mainstream success slowly, and eventually having a boy-band like following, i'm sure they don't aim so much for that type of attention, I don't think any band or artist would, their basically regular people with regular lives and that deep down, their good people, and that when they go solo, they seem cooler to people, making people ask themselves "isn't that the guy from that other band?", apparently its pretty hard for people to recognize Patrick Stump since he has lost so much weight and is now very skinny. For example; like if I had lunch with I don't know, Justin Timberlake, I would know about his life and how cool he is, and the fact that he's not just some pretty boy who use to be a former member of a boy-band and is now a solo-artist, also acting and appearing in Lonely Island videos. That could be, and I say "could", be the way the guys from FOB feel, and i'm sure that's what they would say if I would ever have like a sandwich at Subway with them, only in dreams sadly. Right now, the four guys are doing well on their own with their own projects, all of which sound good to me. I'm liking the sound of The Black Cards, which is a new band created by FOB bassist Pete Wentz, its basically experimental pop with a reggae twist, which actually sounds pretty interesting to me after listening to a few songs. And I know the other two guys, guitarist Joe Trohman and drummer Andy Hurley are in a heavy-metal supergroup called The Damned Things, which consists of two guys from Anthrax  and two other guys from Every Time I Die. Who knows what will be of FOB, will they get back together soon? OR, Continue with their own works for the next little while? If you have any thoughts on this, please feel free to comment and express your views on this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment