Sunday 24 July 2011

Why Russell Crowe plays a vital role in education

I also enjoy looking back at those days of school, thinking about those great moments I had, a good chunk of it being fun, hanging with friends, learning all the amazing things that I like to learn, I don't know about you guys, but I like school for many reasons (which includes friends and learning). During my Media Studies class, we were studying a unit on film studies (around the time after the holidays). At the beginning of the unit, we were talking about the western film; its sub-genres and how it’s an old film genre that has lead a legacy in terms of how films today are filmed and formatted. After two straight classes of note taking, we watched 3:10 To Yuma (the remake, in case you were wondering, great film btw). After learning that Russell Crowe was in it, I then asked myself "wait a second, wasn't that the dude from those two other movies that I saw previously in school?" Of course having to not pay attention cause I would either be hanging with my group of friends in that class (we were, including one other guy, like the only guys in our class) with that having to hear my friends talk to the girls at the front, or the girls talking to us (oh high school :P) (I don't usually say much, I would just draw or just be quite) or, try my best to concentrate on the movie (luckily I watched it again at home after). But after learning that Russell Crowe was in that movie made me remember the last two times I’ve seen a movie with him in it, both those times being at school. First time being when we watched Cinderella Man in history class in gr.10 (after a unit, we would watch a movie that's based on that unit) after learning about post-WWI history (the 20's, The Great Depression, etc.) we watched Cinderella Man, since it depicted a lot of what we learned about when learning about The Great Depression. Second time being after our health unit about alcohol and drugs, we watched American Gangster (also starring Crowe) while watching the movie we discussed about the illegal trafficking and smuggling of drugs. Which is weird cause we didn't even talk about that earlier on during that unit, I recommended to my gym teacher that we should have watched The Basketball Diaries instead, but he said no because of its intense and somewhat disturbing plot, which is weird because American Gangster is 18A and has a lot of violence and gore while The Basketball Diaries  is 14A and has a lot of not only "drug addicted related problems" but also things that we as teenagers can relate to (then again, the thought of Leo DiCaprio's character doing crazy fucked-up things for drugs (you'd know what I mean if you have seen the movie) makes me cringe). Also, a friend of mine from another school happened to watch Gladiator in his Ancient Civilizations class while learning about the Roman Empire. Another friend of mine, from another school, her class watched A Beautiful Mind in her Sociology class while learning about the basic psychology, mental health and behaviours of human beings. This explains why Russell Crowe is probably a tool of education to most teachers, a quick answer to edutainment, or could this all be a coincidence?


No comments:

Post a Comment