Sunday 24 July 2011

What are we really? (first blog)

Well, for the past few weeks or so (since I created my blog), I have been suffering from writer's block, that and I was busy with end of the year assignments and exams (by the 3rd week I knew what I was going to write for this first blog post, but I didn't have the time due to the high amount of exam preparation and studying), now I’m busy with studying for my end of the year exams. Now, because I have the time to write this, I will start this blog off with a poem that I wrote. Well, the only reason why I wrote this poem was because it was for an assignment (are class did a unit on poetry so we had to create slam-poems as our end of the unit assignments). I didn't think that much about what I was writing, but then I started to pay attention to what I wrote, what seemed like a simple task had a lot of hidden complexity behind it, a type of complexity that I learned about and paved attention to after my presentation. Okay, now I have been typing away for a while here, so now here's my poem.


Title:
 Those Damn Expectations Always Clouding My Dreams 



You hope, and you dream. But you never believe
that something's gonna happen for you.
Not like it does in the movies.
And when it actually does, you want it to feel different,
more visceral, more real.
I was waiting for it to hit me, but it just wouldn't happen.
Even though it didn’t hit me
That doesn’t mean it won’t hit you
You just have to keep believing
That someday maybe not to day maybe not tomorrow
Or maybe not in a year
But someday it will hit you
And you’ll feel extraordinary
You’ll feel as if you were just shun on by a thousand suns
You’ll feel as if no one can hurt you
For that one day you will be yourself
And not something someone else wants you to be
You’ll be yourself so enjoy it as it lasts
Cause at any point, at any time
But, like most of the time, you won’t be yourself anymore you
Will be that person someone else wants you to be
Thank you







I thought a lot about expectations and why they seem to be a big deal in our world after presenting my poem to the class.     

No comments:

Post a Comment